Oris continues its mission to bring change for the better with a limited edition watch that celebrates water.
Despite growing awareness and the efforts of government and international non-profit organisations, the world’s water continues to come under threat because of carelessness, neglect and waste. Pollution levels are rising – and something must be done. Oris is proud to introduce the Source of Life Limited Edition, a philosophical watch inspired by the River Rhine that highlights the plight of the world’s water sources and marks a new chapter in Oris’s mission to bring change for the better.
The new watch is based on the stylish Oris Aquis diver’s watch, one of the independent Swiss company’s signature designs. In keeping with Oris’s philosophy to ‘Go your own way’, every model in the line combines innovation, high-performance and high-quality Swiss design and engineering with price points that make sense in the real world.
The Oris Source of Life Limited Edition picks up on that theme, and also recognises the role water plays in feeding, sustaining and connecting life. It focuses on the course of the River Rhine, chosen because it runs close to the village of Hölstein where Oris has been based since 1904, and because the Orisbach, a nearby brook from which the company takes its name, feeds into it.
The watch’s case back is embossed with a map of the River Rhine, which runs 1,233km (766 miles) through six countries from its source at the Lai da Tuma, or Tomasee, a lake 2,343 metres up in the Swiss Alps in the canton of Graubünden, through to the North Sea. The river has been a source of life to those who live along it for centuries.
Because it’s based on the Oris Aquis, the Source of Life Limited Edition has the same roster of high-performance functions the Aquis is renowned for. Its 43.5mm stainless steel case is water-resistant to 30 bar (300 metres), and it has a uni-directional rotating bezel with a grey tungsten insert with a 60-minute timer scale for safely measuring dive times.
The watch’s automatic movement provides it with its standout complication, an inventive circular date indicator shown by a scale running from 1 to 31 around the centre of the watch’s dial. Inside it is a channel with a white indicator that aligns with the scale and makes a full tour of the dial once a month to show the date.
The watch also has a sweeping seconds hand with a ‘lollipop’ filled with luminescent Super-LumiNova®. This is a significant detail – to qualify for diver’s watch status, a watch must have a display that shows the running of the watch to indicate to the wearer that their dive timing is accurate.
The Oris Source of Life Limited Edition comes on either a stainless steel metal bracelet or a grey rubber strap, both of which have stainless steel folding clasps that can be extended to be worn over a wetsuit. To reflect the height above sea level of the Lai da Tuma, 2,343 pieces will be made.
The Oris Source of Life Limited Edition is inspired by water and invites us to consider the eternal value of water philosophically. Water feeds, sustains and connects life – it’s time we recognised its real value.
Technical Specifications – View Product
- Ref. No. 01 733 7730 4125 MB, Ø 43.50 mm
- Limited to 2,343 pieces
- Automatic movement Oris Cal. 733, based on Sellita SW 200-1, date indicated by a white indicator visible through a circular aperture running around the dial.
- Multi-piece stainless steel case with screw-in security crown and crown protection, water-resistant to 30 bar/300 m.
- Diver’s uni-directional rotating bezel with Tungsten inlay with 60-minute timer scale and zero marker filled with Super-LumiNova®.
- Sapphire crystal domed on both sides with anti-reflective coating inside.
- Screwed stainless steel case back with embossed map of the River Rhine and engraved limited edition number.
- Blue grey dial with applied indices filled with Super-LumiNova®. Nickel hour and minute hands filled with Super-LumiNova®. Nickel seconds hand with ‘lollipop’ insert filled with Super-LumiNova®.
- Grey rubber strap with Oris-developed safety anchor and quick-adjust, sliding-sledge folding clasp with extension. Alternatively available with stainless steel bracelet with extension.
- Special presentation box with an insignia on the inside featuring map of the River Rhine.