Into the black
Oris returns to the deep with the Dive Control Limited Edition, an evolution of the independent Swiss company’s high-performance ProDiver watch, made for professional divers. The watch has a 51mm case cast in lightweight Grade 2 titanium and coated in highly scratch-resistant black DLC. It features the Oris-patented Rotation Safety System, or RSS, a signature Oris device that securely locks the uni-directional rotating bezel in place during a dive. The new watch also features a 60-minute chronograph counter at 12 o’clock, with key detailing in highly legible yellow. Only 500 will be made.
The Oris Dive Control Limited Edition was developed in partnership with Roman Frischknecht, a Swiss commercial diver who spends his working life deep underwater, servicing the subsea industry. Working with Roman, Oris developed the patented Rotation Safety System, or RSS, which features on every ProDiver and is designed to lock a watch’s diving bezel securely in place during a dive. This innovative device has become an Oris signature.
The watch has a number of features that elevate it above standard diver’s watches. First, it has an oversized 51 mm case that’s cast in lightweight, black DLC-coated Grade 2 titanium and that’s water-resistant to 100 bar (1,000 metres). In testing, Oris’s engineers actually pressure tested the Dive Control Limited Edition to an astonishing 125 bar to ensure it would perform in the most demanding conditions.
It also has an automatic helium escape valve, a device useful to Roman and his colleagues who live in heliox atmosphere during a saturation dive. Helium atoms are smaller than atoms of oxygen and can enter a watch. Without the escape valve to release these particles, they could damage the watch once the diver reaches regular air pressure again.
Roman applied the same rigour to the development of the Oris ProDiver’s signature feature, the Rotation Safety System. Oris worked with Roman during two years of development to deliver a uni-directional rotating bezel (a device used to measure dive time) that can be locked securely into place during a dive. So critical is time measurement and management in every aspect of diving, that there is no room for error. By locking a bezel in place, he can be sure of exactly how much time he has left on his dive.
Oris has patented this innovation and the Oris ProDiver is the only watch in the world to carry the function. ‘A uni-directional rotating bezel is a great tool, but if it doesn’t move once it’s fixed, it gives a diver extra peace of mind when timing a dive’, explains Roman.
In addition, the watch’s Swiss Made automatic chronograph movement gives it central seconds, 30-minute and 12-hour chronograph hands. The 30-minute chronograph hand has a yellow counterbalance that reads off against a yellow scale, extending it to a full 60-minute display. This way reading as well as calculation errors can be avoided and safety thus increases. For a professional diver, this is exactly what comes first.
Oris Dive Control Limited Edition
- Ref. No. 01 774 7727 7784-Set
- Limited to 500 pieces
- Case Material: Multi-piece Grade 2 titanium case, black DLC plated, ceramic minutes scale top ring
- Top Glass: Sapphire crystal, domed on both sides, antireflective coating inside
- Case back: Titanium, black DLC plated, screwed, special printings/markings
- Operating Devices: Stainless steel screw-in security crown and screw-in pushers, automatic Helium Valve, black DLC plated
- Water Resistance: 100 bar/1000 m
- Interhorn Width: 26 mm
- Movement Number: Oris Cal. 774, base SW 500
- Dimensions: Ø 30.00 mm, 13 1/4’’’
- Winding: Automatic winding, with red rotor
- Power-Reserve: 48 hours
- Vibrations: 4 Hz (28’800 A/h)
- Jewels: 25
- Dial Design: Black dial with wave pattern
- Luminous Material: Numerals and hands Super-LumiNova®
- Strap: Black rubber strap, titanium black DLC plated folding clasp and quick-adjust extension system
- Extras: Waterproof presentation box, additional rubber strap, professional strap changing tools